Wednesday 9 November 2011

A Chequered Date with the Chequered-flag

 
Panoramic view from my seat, of turns 10 & 11

India’s first ever Grand-Prix: beyond cynics’ wildest dreams; and, for F1 fans, their wildest dream come true. I myself couldn’t believe it, as I sat in the electrifying atmosphere at the circuit; stands chock-a-block with spectators. For most people, it was akin to a family picnic or a chance to hang out with friends in a ‘different’ ambience. You had the noise, the food & the drinks. And, the snob value. It was ‘the place’ to be seen in. People were dressed to the nines. Air-kissing was rampant, as was the clicking of heels. But, the deafening roar of the engines silenced everything, as people watched in awe. I think the sport gained a few fans at the end of that weekend. And those who were fans already were re-converted, vowing to come & watch this each year.


Bruno Senna misses the apex
We all waited with bated breath, for the drivers’ verdict of the Buddh International circuit. Did the much-hyped design live up to its name? After 2 days’ practice, it received a unanimous thumbs-up. And the spectators’ verdict? Another thumbs-up. Seated at the premium South stand, with its double turn & some elevation in the track, I had plenty of action to keep me happy. The circuit was loaded with over-taking possibilities & thrilling ones at that. Initially bothered by the dust that hadn’t quite settled down, the drivers soon took to the track. 

Practice session
I watched the race with one bad eye, having had a metal piece fly & embed itself into my cornea when dust flew into it just as I left my hotel, eagerly heading to the race. After a frantic visit to the doctor & fervent prayers for the race to begin at ‘IST’ so that I don’t miss the drivers’ parade at 1:30, I made it to the circuit just as the last three drivers drove past. My prayers weren’t answered; the parade had begun on time. 



Fernando Alonso
Felipe Massa










The race was exciting, with Massa & Hamilton again at loggerheads; one of their many clashes this year. Massa’s suspension, which had already troubled him at qualifying, broke soon after. When his car stalled near my turn, you could sense his disappointment as he was driven away on a scooter. Vettel’s lead was stupendous & he’d cemented his place on the podium right from the first lap. Credibly, Narain Karthikeyan finished the race. Karun Chandhok waved to spectators as he vroom-ed past during the practice sessions. I threw away my ear-plugs; it wasn’t half as fun without the sound of these beauties zooming past. 

The first lap of the race, with Vettel in the lead (outside the photo) with Button seen here, ahead of Webber.
Massa's car, carted away
Massa walks away from his car after the suspension broke




Lewis Hamilton
Michael Schumacher





I was wondering how people who didn’t follow the sport would enjoy. To add to their woes, the commentary wasn’t audible at all as it was drowned by the cars’ sound. But, people discovered their own little ways to have fun: they cheered as Karthikeyan drove past, they cheered for Force India’s cars, they posed for pictures with the race in the background, they came armed with Force India flags (which they waved), and they applauded as cars tackled corners at un-imaginable speeds. 





Vettel & Hamilton on the victory lap
Now for the minor irritants: As an architect, I first noticed it & then, it irked me that the stand design was clumsy, with the roof barely covering me (I was in the last row, last column, but I still expect to be covered when I pay for a ‘covered seating area’). Four annoying columns right in the front did block a bit of my view of the exciting double turn. And yes, Jaypee Sports goofed up the travel arrangements. Yes, the food was over-priced & bad. Yes, they’d barely completed the work on time & we had to walk through undulating sand (fine by me, but it inconvenienced children & the elderly quite a bit). And, I was stranded after the race when the taxi service didn’t send me my ‘confirmed’ cab because they couldn’t find a cabbie who wanted to venture so far to pick me up. I waited in hope until it turned dark & even the organizers had left; I then almost hijacked the next taxi that drove past, thankfully empty.

Vettel receives his trophy from Mayawati
The view outside the stand



















The arrival of F1 in India has not been without its share of brick-bats. Organizers have been accused of wasting money. There are factions that say that the money could have been spent to boost other sports. Some are worried that F1 will now lure all sponsors who were supporting other sports. And then, there is the question of affordability; with prices like this, it will be accessible only to a niche audience.

Looking back at the lighter moments, a dog ran across the track on the first day, only to be promptly christened the ‘race dog’. Luckily, it escaped, un-injured. Mayawati caused not a little mirth when she was called to present the trophy. She did that, amongst boos & speculations about whether each of the three winners on the podium would get designer handbags, especially chosen by her. But, undoubtedly, the star of the show was the circuit. We ooh-ed & aah-ed each time the giant screen flashed a view of the entire track, shot from the helicopter hovering above. All the circuit needs is a little polishing. Hopefully, a year should remedy that. But, the race more than made up for it. Until next year, then!

For information about our trip & tips, read this:

2 comments:

  1. Raji......now I'm an F1 fan....enjoyed the photos and the read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anjali. You must go next year :)

    ReplyDelete